Sunday, October 11, 2009

Priceless moments - Kuto, Isle of Pins


Things have been very relaxing and beautiful here. Today I spent one of the most magical afternoons with my little family. There is a hike around the point where we are anchored called the "Knob". I packed a lunch and we headed out for the trail. As we started our hike we came across a large sea snake just below the trail sitting on a rock in the water. It had beautiful black and light blue bands and Merric was explaining to us the design of his tail which helps his swim in the water. It was just an amazing experience for all of us. As we continued on we found a little clearing with an incredible view of an island in the distance and the swells pounding along the jagged rock ledge. It was priceless to hear my kids tell me how much fun they are having and how beautiful it was. Paul and I couldn't help but smile. Seanna LOVES picnics so this made her day. When we started hiking again we found so many beautiful shells and at one point it felt like we were looking for easter eggs and pointing them out everywhere. Merric was having a blast looking at dead trees and discovering termites and other small creatures. Seanna kept saying, "Mom, this is the best day of my life". As we were looking for shells on our trail we came across another sea snake. It was slithering by a near by tree just off the trail. During the hike I kept thinking that is must be easy for the sea snakes to just come right up here since we were walking right on a cliff. We quietly approached it from behind and watched him for a little while. When we felt is was safe we let Merric touch his tail and after Paul tried to pick him up with a long stick. The snake was very calm and it was exciting to watch my two boys. Do I need to say how incredible it was for Merric??? A full bag of shells later and a walk through old prison ruins we made it to the beach and back to the boat.


1 comment:

  1. Dear God... I would need therapy after that hike. SNAKES!!!! I don't care how colorful they are, I would definitely be post traumatic.
    Love the story though for Merric. He is certainly your nature boy. I am sure growing like a leaf. Can i tell you how incredibly much I am missing you!!!

    ReplyDelete