Saturday, May 16, 2009

Bula

Bula from Fiji,

Ahh, I am back in the islands. The sounds of island rap music blaring out of the grocery stores, fresh fruit and veggie markets with Bodi beans (Green beans that are two feet long) that I haven't seen since Trinidad and the friendliness of the locals are all a welcomed sight. It's hot, humid, rainy and everything we like about the tropics. We have reports from friends of ours that New Zealand is freezing cold and having low pressure after low pressure. Food here is cheap so I don't cook much but I am starting to feel my waist line grow. There is a strong Indian influence here and the Polynesian look I am used to is changing. The Indian community came here back in the early 1900's to work the sugar cane and most have never left. The woman wear long skirts, no hats (to be closer to god without any interference) and always seem happy. I was teaching Geography one day and decided to cut out a whole section because, what they taught my kids, I could show them on the streets here in real life. What an amazing feeling!!! Kava! What is Kava? Kava is generally used for celebration but is also consumed on a less formal scale. It is a root that is ground in to a powder form that is placed in to a thin cloth and soaked in water. It is squeezed until it reaches the perfect color of dirty, non bubbly dish water. I can't comment on the taste yet but will let you know after I try it... We had to buy several bundles to offer the village chiefs if we decide to anchor off their village. If they accept our gift, we are then welcomed as part of the village and may stay. It's a long standing tradition in the more remote parts of Fiji and is part of the charm. We will head out of Savusavu in the next couple days once we get our cruising permit and an idea on where to go first. So much to see!!! I don't have wifi here but as soon as I do I will add some pictures to the blog.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on your safe arrival in Fiji - have a wonderful adventure there! Malachi

    ReplyDelete