Thursday, May 7, 2009

Day four out.

We are beat! The past few nights have been a challenge with wind, squalls and rudder issues. Our rudder keeps going out of alignment and usually the auto pilot can handle it until a squall comes and then it jams and we can't turn the boat. This leads to a few quick shouts for help and a team effort to hold the helm while the other goes in the engine room to adjust it back. Paul and I look at each other and don't speak what we really feel....THIS SUCKS! We are wet, cold, tired and frustrated but keep thinking that when we get to Fiji it will all be forgotten. Luckily, today was a nice easy day and we spent a few hours working on the rudders and auto pilot to see if there is any wrong. We did a few adjustments and all seems to be doing well. We also haven't had a squall so I will let you know if it's fixed when we get into one. Tonight looks like it will be quite and calm. As I type, we are going 3 knots but I am not going to put the engines on and wake up Paul. We will make up the time/distance later. Right now, I want my captain rested.

26*13 S 177*19 E

----------
radio email processed by SailMail
for information see: http://www.sailmail.com

1 comment:

  1. Love your posts and wish I could weather a night watch with you. I think it would be the only time I could sit and talk to you without interuption. When you are on watch, what do you do with your time? (other then think of me of course) How are the kiddos doing? It Merric ready to ease yoru load and take watch now?? I am sure he is a pro. Be safe.

    ReplyDelete